Linda Martin's Reviews > Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

bookshelves: 2019, popsugar-reading-challenge-2019, singapore, families, fiction, satire

What a crazy book. Wealth vs. poverty. Differences in perception. Priorities all mixed up. This satire novel brings into focus the lives and thinking processes of excessively wealthy families in Singapore. From the point of view of a Chinese American professor, the socialites of Singapore are anything but friendly and welcoming, especially since they consider her a gold digger.

Too bad her boyfriend, Nick, didn't prepare Rachel for the exclusivity of his family's wealthy existence. In Singapore, where they're to spend the summer, there's wealthy people and then there's the uber-wealthy who almost nobody knows about because they're carefully secreted away from the gaze of the rest of society. Nick comes from one of those families, and they don't welcome Rachel Chu.

What may be normal in upper class Singapore looks wacky from the point of view of a normal (not wealthy) American. The author, Kevin Kwan, left Singapore as a child, transplanted to Texas. I watched an interview of this author via a YouTube video. He seemed totally Americanized but also has great knowledge of Singapore habits and customs, especially in the realm of accumulated wealth.

I read this book for the 2019 PopSugar Reading Challenge prompt #34 - A book that includes a wedding . I read it along with the Ultimate PopSugar Reading Challenge group here on Goodreads. The group picked the book. I would not have picked this book, but I'm so glad the group did so I was talked into reading it. I'm glad I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Rich Asians.

May 1, 2019 – Shelved