Madeleine's Reviews > Necessary People

Necessary People by Anna Pitoniak

20603646

bookshelves: botm, 2019-reads, x-thriller-mystery

This book was a super quick read for me, so I finished it in about 2 or 3 days! I always love seeing what goes on "behind the scenes" in certain industries, and this was no exception with KCN's cable news network. The pressure, the hierarchy, the personalities -- I loved all of it.

Violet and Stella's relationship was all too familiar to me. As much as I try to get everyone around me to embrace girl power, there is still a competitive dynamic to many female friendships that Pitoniak explored so intimately. I loved that there wasn't really any romance or relationship drama, it was about the two women and their own individual personalities and their interactions (sans man).

As the novel went on, it was harder to distinguish who needed the other more. Stella needs Violet as a confidant, someone to be there for her when she's not "on" in front of her rich and spoiled friends, yet someone to always feel superior to (due to her upbringing). And Violet needs Stella in the same way -- an anchor to keep her from becoming what she always swore she never would be, someone to feel superior to having built herself from the ground up. The dynamics between these two women are, well, thrilling.

The world looks at you and sees you in the context of other people. Relationships radiate out like the delicate strands of a spider's web. The politician talks about his hardworking parents, or his loving wife. The mother is willing to sacrifice anything for her children. These are always the first nouns people reach for. I am a daughter, a sister, a mother, a wife. I am a friend.

I thought I could survive without those words, without those silken strands. But surviving isn't the same as living.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Necessary People.

April 30, 2019 – Shelved