Andrea's Reviews > Don't Date Rosa Santos

Don't Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, lgbtqiap, m-f-romance

I feel conflicted right now. I can't really say what didn't work for me, I just know that something was off. Don't Date Rosa Santos follows three generations of Santos women the curse that follows them.

Sometimes it felt like the idea of being cursed was all in my head. Like it was a fabled warning to remind me to work hard and focus on my goals. The women before me had lost too much for me to be anything but firmly focused on the future. I was meant to achieve and make all of the loss, heartache, and sacrifices mean something.

This was beautifully written, truly. I loved the writing and the dialogue between the characters. I love how the author blended in some Spanish, it made everything feel so authentic. There was a major theme of grief in the story, which was surprising! I did not get anything like that from the blurb so it was a bit unexpected. Moreno's writing was lyrical, but not over the top at all which I appreciated.

I was a collection of hyphens and bilingual words. Always caught in between. Two schools, two languages, two countries. Never quite right or enough for either.

The romance, while not central to the story was adorable. It took me a bit to warm up to Rosa and Alex, I ended up really rooting for them. I do feel like the blurb was a bit misleading though. It made it sound like the curse and the romance would play a bigger part in the story, but that wasn't true at all. I guess if that's good or bad depends on who you ask, but if you were looking for a romance, while adorable, it was a bit underwhelming here. So as a romance fan I wish there had been a little bit more.

I think it was two main things that stopped me from rating this higher. First was the characters, while I liked Rosa, there were a lot of side characters that I wasn't particularly interested in. There were also so many of them, it was hard to keep everyone straight in my head. Second was the pacing. It felt like not much was happened in the first half and then too much happened at the end. It felt a bit rushed.

There was some good mixed in her though. Like I said I loved Rosa. Her obsession with a place she's never been and her journey to find where she belongs was amazing. She felt real and relatable. I also liked the setting of a small town called Port Coral in Florida.

Everything I knew about Cuba came from this coastal town, hundreds of miles from the island that was so unknown to me. I met my culture in the food I ate at our table, the songs that played on my abuela’s record player, and the stories that flowed through the bodega and Ana- Maria’s lively home. But I couldn’t find my family in those stories. I couldn’t find me.

While this won't be a favorite, I am glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Date Rosa Santos.

April 30, 2019 – Shelved