Monnie's Reviews > Private #1 Suspect

Private #1 Suspect by James Patterson

Feb 19, 2012

Read from February 19 to 20, 2012

James Patterson, to me, is the McDonald's of the mystery market; every six months at most, he (in most cases helped by co-authors) churns out another book. And although I'm a fan who's read a huge number of them, I'd be the first to say that quality has suffered; there are at least three fairly recent numbers I haven't even bothered to start because the few I'd read before that were borderline trite and the newer ones weren't faring all that well in the review department.

The "Private" series, however, looked a bit more interesting; and most of the books he's written with Maxine Paetro, including some of the "Women's Murder Club" series, I've enjoyed. So I figured what the heck, I'll give Private: #1 Suspect a try. As it turns out, I'm glad I did. The central character, Jack Morgan, is an interesting guy (having an evil twin brother adds a unique dimension). As owner of a private security firm, Jack is involved in several cases at once in this book - including the murder of a former girlfriend that he's accused of committing - all of which must be solved by the end of the book. As you might expect, then, the action is continuous right up to the end (where the book starts to drag a bit, but by then, it's only a few more pages and you're done). There's nothing heavy-duty here, and anyone who wants to stick with it should be able to finish it up in one day. But it moves fast, held my attention and was totally enjoyable - to the point that I'm now looking forward to reading the next one, Private Games. Paetro has been replaced as co-author by Mark Sullivan, but I still plan on giving it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private #1 Suspect.