Jeanette's Reviews > Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love

Inheritance by Dani Shapiro

it was ok

Well, I said the review would come in a week. But I guess I lied. Maybe the reason I forgot about it was that it was a hard one to posit. For my taste and as a memoir in general. Both!

Yes, I am outlier. And I'm going to try to be as kind as possible. I doubt I will succeed- and that is probably why I "forgot" to do this review. And I did forget despite remembering to do the 3 others I read on that particular trip.

Well, it's not to my taste at all because of the voice of the narrator. And her perceptions. And how she relates all the history of the past to a me, me, me context. And to little else but "me" and what makes "me" happy. Truth or not. As I posted in my comment to progress- she's like 54 years old going on 15.

All memoirs do not hold this particular set of "eyes" and judgments, so singularly "me" positioned. Suffice to say that it becomes strangely associated to what she discloses and to what she occludes?

She will tell you that she is averse of her mother because she is a narcissist with Borderline Personality Disorder (and yet her Mother seems to have loved her in a unique and individual way- down to the process of her origins?) Well, the fruit hasn't fallen far from the tree, if that is the case.

The entire posit for Jewish law and through every definition would regardless and does insure that she is Jewish. And so most of her thoughts and feelings here? If she has to have "official" interpretations from her own Rabbi to make herself feel "better"? Doesn't she know her own written law, if she is Orthodox? Of course, she does. And I don't at all believe or think at any point were her treatments, emails to her biological father (she found him only through her own detective work as a side track of some ancestry evaluation)- were at any point less than aggressive to pushy. All of my empathy fell totally on his side.

She's seems intelligent- this author. Of course her parents knew, and signed for what they got. Legally and with full knowledge. Related family and friends of family have tried to relate some of this to her in the past too, and she still truly doesn't "get" what they are saying to her. If she wants to pretend otherwise (and definitely did pretend otherwise for decades in her life already), then she holds some very strange sensibilities to truly "not listening". It's totally about "I" and also not written for a decent prose flow, IMHO. Primarily because of that factor of having to connect all the tangents of her feelings about events that preceded her.

Beyond all that, biology DNA connection is not the entire core of parenthood either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

April 30, 2019 – Shelved
April 30, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 11, 2019 – Started Reading
May 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Jeanette Review coming soon.

message 2: by Bambi (new)

Bambi happily awaiting what looks to be a negative review . Just the cover and title are annoying me. Already thinking this book begs for some cynicism.

Jeanette I’m away from tech & don’t have enough words to answer you sufficiently, Bambi. But you are spot on. 54 years old going on 15. I, I, I continuous and unrelenting me. Beyond memoirist levels of norm “me” cognition.

message 4: by Bambi (new)

Bambi HaHaHa!! Your review is going to be delightful!

message 5: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane I can't wait to hear what you thought! I thought it looked so interesting, and my a friend of my mom raved about it. It'll be great to hear a different opinion.

Jeanette I know I will most probably be far outlier rater on this one. To give you some laughs know that she lets you into her own “picture” by relating that there is distance between herself and her mother because her mother is a borderline personality narcissistic. IMHO, the apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree.