Riverina Romantics's Reviews > Wicked Road to Hell

Wicked Road to Hell by Juliana Stone

liked it
bookshelves: review-copy, paranormal, on-blog

I read the first prequel novella in this series (Wrong Side of Hell 0.5) and loved it. I thought it was fabulously written and a great beginning to an outstanding paranormal series. Unfortunately all the aspects I loved in the novella didn’t follow through for me in Wicked Road to Hell.

The emotional connection between Ana and Declan was only a tiny glimmer in my chest. I wanted it to be a full blown orgasm of feeling, but I just didn’t get there. Although the storyline was great and the sex was quite hot, it didn’t hit my romance buttons. In my opinion it was too passive. I felt like I was being ‘told’ everything instead of ‘shown.’
Emotions and feelings were skimmed over in crucial scenes, one small example is, in one of the fighting scenes Ana gets hurt, “...a chunk of hair was ripped from her skull.” Those few words were the only information you were told on the matter. I know Ana is a vampire and things like chunks of hair being ripped out probably wouldn’t phase her, but I wanted to hear a tiny bit of emotion or feeling about it. I wanted to know what it felt like, wanted to know how it made her feel etc, etc, etc. Christ, I sound like Dr .Phil.

Anyway, I also think I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I read Juliana’s Jaguar series. I didn’t notice it in the novella, but there were a lot of side characters in this book that I think the Jaguar books focused on. You know when you love a series and get excited to hear the characters you lusted after make another appearance in different books? Well I think people who loved the Jaguar series would enjoy the snippets that involved the Jaguars, but because I have no history with them I couldn’t connect with them either.

Now, after all my pickiness I would like to mention that the paranormal world Juliana has put together is very interesting. It has some great paranormal beings, sorcerers, vampires, hell hounds, shifters and the list goes on. I think it definitely has the potential to go places.

And I’m more than willing to mention that this could have been a case of ‘the wrong book at the wrong time’ but I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Road to Hell.

February 19, 2012 – Shelved
March 27, 2012 – Started Reading
March 28, 2012 –
30.0% "Kinda sad that I'm not feeling this one"
March 28, 2012 –