Leslie Lindsay's Reviews > Ask Again, Yes

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

What does it mean to forgive? That’s the overarching question of this blistering good family saga encompassing friendship, love, mental illness, violence, estrangement, and more.

I love this book, ASK AGAIN, YES (Scribner, May 28 2019) by Mary Beth Keane, a stunningly ambitious novel of epic proportions, spanning the lives of two families over 40 years. Plus, oh, my gosh—that cover—which could be just about Anywhere, USA. Or Anywhere, Period.

Mary Beth Keane is a National Book Foundation 5 Under 35 honoree and author of the highly acclaimed novels THE WALKING PEOPLE and FEVER (optioned for screen by Elisabeth Moss)—and also one I happened to love.

In ASK AGAIN, YES, Francis Gleeson and Brian Stanhope are rookie cops in the NYPD. They live outside the city in cozy suburban area in the 1970s where they’re married and starting young families. But—each home has different stories. There’s the Gleesons—fresh from Ireland and the Stanhopes with a bit of instability, grief, and more, setting fertile ground for an explosive neighborly connection.

This is a gorgeous book in scope and practice—begging questions of forgiveness, past mistakes, family bonds, and those mundane, ordinary everyday moments that at first glance seem segmented, fragile, but also make momentous explosions in the grand scheme.

The writing is razor-sharp, perceptive, and moves powerfully through the narrative in a sweeping arc, covering so much ground. I am in awe.

ASK AGAIN, YES reminded me a bit of the writing of Tom Perrotta meets J. Courtney Sullivan with touches of Caroline Leavitt. Such fabulous writing, that will pull you in and have you worrying for these characters.

For all my reviews, including author interviews, please see: www.leslielindsay.com|Always with a Book.
Special thanks to Scribner for this review copy. All thoughts are my own.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask Again, Yes.

April 30, 2019 – Shelved