Dennis's Reviews > The Last Train to London

The Last Train to London by Meg Waite Clayton

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-pub, 2019-read, historical-fiction

I really enjoy reading historical fiction lately and I feel as if the genre has blown-up in 2019. If you loved The Lost Girls of Paris or The Huntress, I would definitely recommend that you consider reading Meg Waite Clayton's The Last Train to London . Based on the true story of Truus Wijsmuller (aka Tante Truus), a member of the Dutch resistance, and her struggle to save innocent Jewish refugee children throughout Europe during the height of the Nazi regime's crimes against humanity Pre-World War 2.

While the story is emotionally driven, at times I felt a major disconnect to the storyline in the first half of the story. It was like there was a distance placed between me and the characters, but I'm unsure why. I think that the story might have been a little too long for me to enjoy it fully, and that placed a barrier between me and the emotional experience that the characters went through. The story focuses on Tante Truus's journey in rescuing children, and also Stephan Neuman and his family's pain during the annexation of Austria. Stephan's point-of-view during this story is more gripping and tragic, while Tante Truus's is more timeline focused. We venture to their journey of survival and hearbreak, while also reminding us of the tragic events that unfolding in the lat 1930s.

While this novel's theme highlights the events that unfolded during Nazi Germany's power began to rise, it also showcases many countries's unwillingness to accept refugees of the Jewish community while they were trying to escape persecution. At times, I couldn't help but see similarities with the how America and Europe are handling the refugee crises that are unfolding in today's society. The Last Train to London takes awhile to build up, but once you get into the third section (well, actually "Part 3"), you'll be dedicated to the story. Beautiful writing with an emotionally-driven timeline makes for an overall compelling read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Train to London.

April 30, 2019 – Shelved
April 30, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2019 – Started Reading
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-read
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-pub
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
July 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Paige Good review! I felt exactly the same. I felt a strong disconnect which caused me to feel disengaged at times. I similarly wrote that I didn't feel an emotional connection. Too many characters? Too much mundane dialogue? I didn't feel like I knew any of them like I wanted to. I didn't get the feels that I wanted.
It took me longer to read than normal as well, too lengthy.