Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior's Reviews > WITCHDOCTORPOET

WITCHDOCTORPOET by Bola Juju

bookshelves: in-my-bookshelf, poetry, feminism, 5-star-read

All that your ancestors had to
go through for you to be here
and you doubt yourself?

How dare you?

You come from a legacy of survival that must never be
questioned

I received WITCHDOCTORPOET by Bola Juju for review. This collection of poetry is definitely an offering of empowerment, strength, belief, and just utter soul-stopping words of wisdom. I found myself annotating my copy, especially when I found particularly amazing wordplay and magical imagery that just leaps and pours off the page.

There were some themes that I personally could not relate to, but empathy is strong within me and I could understand the emotions and thoughts and history behind those specific parts. It certainly did not hinder my connection with WITCHDOCTORPOET because sometimes you read poetry at the right time despite not fully understanding all of it - it still manages to hit you everywhere all at once.

Bola Juju has a way with words that is so visually pleasing and it constantly makes one pause to feel and digest. The intensity and the power within these poems about heritage, the female body, love, the African diaspora are unparalleled. What a stunning and powerful collection that I was blessed to have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WITCHDOCTORPOET.

April 29, 2019 – Started Reading
April 29, 2019 – Shelved
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: in-my-bookshelf
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: poetry
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: feminism
April 29, 2019 –
page 63
42.0% "so far this is such a stunning poetry collection with brilliant imagery"
April 30, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star-read