Samantha's Reviews > Storm of Locusts

Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse

I was already a fan of main character Maggie Hoskie from her debut in Trail of Lightning So, I'd been looking forward to this book, hopeful that she would both be the same character I loved so much, and that she would grow and change in believable ways. I was not disappointed!

The lack of Kai in the first part of the book was a little frustrating, given where book one ended, but it was just my impatience. The wait was worth it in the end and gave Maggie a chance to develop on her own, building new friendships, and strengthening old ones.

Great villain, too! The flatness of the villain was my one complaint about book one, so I was pleased to see this one take on more dimension without taking over the story too much. Locusts, beautiful and creeptastic IRL, were an excellent choice for the powers and imagery of our villain in this piece.

I'm not sure how well this book would work if you haven't read the first one first (who does that anyway? Read a series in order, folks!), but as a follow up and continuation, it was very satisfying, hitting the right mix of "coming back for more" and "change and progress." I have a good feeling about how the story will progress and eventually end, a well-earned happily ever after, with adventure and growth along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm of Locusts.

April 29, 2019 – Started Reading