Tammy's Reviews > This Tender Land

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger

A quintessential Midwestern American fable, This Tender Land is a coming of age novel and a tale of an epic journey in the form of homage to The Odyssey and Huckleberry Finn. During The Great Depression, four orphans runaway from an abusive Indian school by canoeing the rivers of Minnesota in order to reach St Louis and the protection of an Aunt. As the river turns, they meet a variety of people along the way struggling to survive the profound effects of the catastrophic economic downturn. Some of these people are as they appear to be while others are not. Through his experiences the narrator and storyteller, Odie, tries to come to terms with God. At times, he believes in the wrathful, vengeful God of the Old Testament and at other times he believes in the loving, forgiving God of the New Testament. Ultimately, this is a novel about searching and recognition including the search for security and home, the search for self knowledge, and the recognition of religious hypocrisy as well as authentic faith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Tender Land.

April 29, 2019 – Started Reading
page 248
May 2, 2019 –
page 358
May 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)

Cheri Happy to see your progress on this, Tammy! I loved his Ordinary Grace.

Tammy Cheri wrote: "Happy to see your progress on this, Tammy! I loved his Ordinary Grace."

I think you’d love this, Cheri. I haven’t read Ordinary Grace but I do have it somewhere

JanB Tammy, I have this in my tbr, looking forward to yoru thoughts. I loved Ordinary Grace!

Tammy JanB wrote: "Tammy, I have this in my tbr, looking forward to yoru thoughts. I loved Ordinary Grace!"

I should have something posted soon, Jan. It’s outstanding

Angela M So excited to see your 5 stars. I’m reading this soon and can’t wait.

message 6: by Jeannie (new) - added it

Jeannie I look forward to this one too. Nice to see those 5 stars!

Tammy Angela M wrote: "So excited to see your 5 stars. I’m reading this soon and can’t wait."

You’ll love it, Angela

Tammy Jeannie wrote: "I look forward to this one too. Nice to see those 5 stars!"

It’s quite good, Jeannie

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Looking forward to your review!!

message 10: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline I love your 5 Stars, and look forward to your review, Tammy! :)

Tammy Jaline wrote: "I love your 5 Stars, and look forward to your review, Tammy! :)"

I’m procrastinating, Jaline. I’ll write something soon. ;)

Cheri Love seeing your five stars for this, Tammy, but I loved reading your thoughts on this even more. Wonderful review!

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Great review as always, Tammy ;)

message 14: by Nadia (new) - added it

Nadia Great review, Tammy! This definitely goes to my TBR!

Debra Wonderful review, Tammy!

message 16: by C I N D L E (new) - added it

C I N D L E When I initially read this book's synopsis a couple weeks back, I immediately thought it had vibes of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn misadventures. I'm glad that my inclinations ring true. I look forward to reading it down the pipeline.

message 17: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Fantastic review, Tammy! Another fan of Ordinary Grace right here! I'm excited to learn of this book :)

message 18: by JV (semi-hiatus) (new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Beautiful write-up, dear Tammy! 🤗

Tammy Cheri wrote: "Love seeing your five stars for this, Tammy, but I loved reading your thoughts on this even more. Wonderful review!"

Thanks, Cheri! I appreciate your comment

Tammy Diane wrote: "Great review as always, Tammy ;)"

Thanks, Diane! I am flattered :)

Tammy Nadia wrote: "Great review, Tammy! This definitely goes to my TBR!"

Thanks, Nadia. It is so worth reading

Tammy Debra wrote: "Wonderful review, Tammy!"

Thanks much, Debra!

Tammy C I N D L E wrote: "When I initially read this book's synopsis a couple weeks back, I immediately thought it had vibes of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn misadventures. I'm glad that my inclinations ring true. I look forw..."

You are quite right, Cindle. The Odyssey echoes are fairly obvious, too but it’s very well done

Tammy Candi wrote: "Fantastic review, Tammy! Another fan of Ordinary Grace right here! I'm excited to learn of this book :)"

Thanks much, Candi! I have to make a point to read Ordinary Grace. Clearly, I’m missing out.

Tammy JV wrote: "Beautiful write-up, dear Tammy! 🤗"

Thanks, sweet JV! 😘

Angela M Tammy , wonderful review. I loved Ordinary Grace and I can’t wait to get to this one . I may have to move it up.

message 27: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola Wonderful review Tammy! I really want to read Ordinary Grace! I’m glad you enjoyed this one too! 😊

Michelle Yay! So glad to see your 5 stars! This will be my second book by him so I'm hoping for another winner!

message 29: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Lovely review, Tammy! I intended to read this one as soon as I first saw it. (Love that cover!!) After reading your great review, I just can't wait to get my hands on this one! :)

Tammy Angela M wrote: "Tammy , wonderful review. I loved Ordinary Grace and I can’t wait to get to this one . I may have to move it up."

Thanks, Angela. Definitely move it up

Tammy Nicola wrote: "Wonderful review Tammy! I really want to read Ordinary Grace! I’m glad you enjoyed this one too! 😊"

Thanks, Nicola! I have to find my copy of Ordinary Grace. If this is one is any indication of his work, I’m missing out 🌼

Tammy Michelle wrote: "Yay! So glad to see your 5 stars! This will be my second book by him so I'm hoping for another winner!"

Since we tend to like the same things, I think you’ll like this Michelle ;)

Tammy Jaline wrote: "Lovely review, Tammy! I intended to read this one as soon as I first saw it. (Love that cover!!) After reading your great review, I just can't wait to get my hands on this one! :)"

Thanks, Jaline! The cover is stunning. There is a sweetness to it despite the vagabonds travails

message 34: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Kalin Superb review, Tammy!

Tammy Paula wrote: "Superb review, Tammy!"

Thanks, Paula!

message 36: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fab review Tammy 💕

message 37: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Lovely review, Tammy 💖

message 38: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Crytzer Fry Fabulous review, Tammy This sounds right up my naturey alley! And the description (plus your review) make it sound like it would be an excellent movie adaptation!

Tammy Maureen wrote: "Fab review Tammy 💕"

Thanks, Maureen 🌼

Tammy Felicia wrote: "Lovely review, Tammy 💖"

Thanks much, Felicia 💕

Tammy Melissa wrote: "Fabulous review, Tammy This sounds right up my naturey alley! And the description (plus your review) make it sound like it would be an excellent movie adaptation!"

Thanks, Melissa! I think you’ll like it. The writing is cinematic and I think it would adapt well to the big screen

Susanne  Strong Fab review Tammy!

Tammy Susanne wrote: "Fab review Tammy!"

Thanks much, Susanne!

message 44: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria I loved his previous book and this sounds right up to the standard he set with it. As always, love how you boil a book down to its essence...it's a gift.

Tammy I’ve yet to read his previous book. I greatly appreciate your comment, Victoria.

Elyse Walters Tammy - this sounds wonderful- thank you sweetie. - adding it!! 💕

Tammy Elyse wrote: "Tammy - this sounds wonderful- thank you sweetie. - adding it!! 💕"

Thanks, Elyse 💖 This is your sort of book!

Marialyce I just finished this story and loved it. Wonderful simple writing made for a terrific poignant story. Terrific review, Tammy!

Tammy Marialyce wrote: "I just finished this story and loved it. Wonderful simple writing made for a terrific poignant story. Terrific review, Tammy!"

Thanks, Marialyce. It is wonderful. Off to read your review

Angela M A fantastic review, Tammy. Glad I took your advice and moved it up.

« previous 1