Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > Osgood As Gone

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett

bookshelves: horror

What do you get when you mix a superbly badass (semi-dysfunctional, but who isn’t, to be honest) queer detective, a hard-boiled style mystery plot, enough supernatural crazy to knock your socks off, and a too-cool-for-school throwback Christopher Pike cover?

Something you really just need to read. Like right now.

Prudence Osgood is a completely new type of heroine. She’s a pan-sexual, non-monogamous, alcoholic, ghost-hunter with a dark, painful past that keeps coming to literally haunt her in her dreams. She considers drinking until she’s blackout drunk her self-medication to make it through the night without the pain and nightmares. She’s also whip-smart and often very funny, though she still needs to learn how to let people she cares about past all her armor.

The story revolves around a strange e-mail that leads to a piece of Pru’s past she simply can’t ignore. With the help of two friends, she dives in, and the trail gets stranger and stranger, involving long drives to rest stops, people who all mysteriously disappeared on the same day, an impossible-to-find record with cryptic backmasking, and so much more.

This narrative is bursting at the seams! I loved how the mystery kept expanding as they investigated, how as the pieces fell into place, there was more and more to uncover. It is such a well-crafted mystery that you really just want to keep reading to find the next piece of the puzzle and see how it’s all going to fit together.

For me, the ending was not quite as strong as the rest of the book—it strays a little too far from the track and was not as tightly written or (for me at least) easy to see exactly what was going on. But it definitely broadened my idea about what a “spectral investigator” might be!

As it appears this is going to be a series with the second book already in the works, you better jump on the train now and dive into Osgood’s world. Highly recommended.

My thanks to the author for sending me a copy of this book to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osgood As Gone.

April 28, 2019 – Started Reading
April 28, 2019 – Shelved
April 28, 2019 –
page 149
"Kickass heroine with a hard-boiled plot."
April 30, 2019 – Finished Reading