Tim Healy's Reviews > The Sky Below

The Sky Below by Scott Parazynski

Possibly because of my age, I'm very interested in the space program. I remember the end of the Apollo flights, and the beginnings of the Space Shuttle flights. This is a nice enough entry in the literature of the program. Scott is one of the guys who came into the space program early in the shuttle era who didn't come in via the military. He's a science guy. He's an MD, and also a creator of specialty medical gear. He was John freakin' Glenn's personal doctor when he returned to space on the shuttle. Not only that, the guy has CLIMBED MOUNT EVEREST. Can you imagine being able to say you flew multiple shuttle missions, finished several of the most important space walks in shuttle history, and climbed Mount Everest? Oh yeah, and he almost made the Olympic luge team. That's a lot of win packed into one life time. This is an interesting read. It's not perfect. Sometimes it comes off as a little too "rah-rah-you-can-do-anything-yay-'Murica". There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but it isn't too well balanced here. Bottom line, I enjoyed this a lot. It's probably worth reading this, mostly, if you have a great interest in the space program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Below.

April 9, 2019 – Started Reading