Karen's Reviews > Skin

Skin by Liam Brown

190448

liked it

3.5 stars.

The reviews on this book were mixed and I've read enough dystopian novels to not be thrilled about reading a mediocre one. But alas, I think there's a lot of gold in this story.

First of all, unlike most other dystopian novels I've read this one focuses on one family and their journey through this new world. The story alternates between the beginnings of the outbreak and the family's transition and the "now" world of many, many years later. The main character is the mom of the family. All of this already made me more curious since most of the dystopian novels I've read are either YA or not focused around a family in general.

Also instead of focusing on all the gory details or even on a lot of what's different (though there's some of each) the main focus here is the psychological impact on the individuals in that family and the acute sense of isolation. This, too, felt novel and interesting to me.

I do wish the characters were a bit more developed. I think we got some peeks into the daughter but the son was almost comically evil and I would have liked to know more about him and same goes for the husband. I understand that the mom was the storyteller and a lot of the boy's transformation is post-separation so maybe she didn't have enough insight there but clearly there was a lot about the husband from before and while we did get some glimpses there, I still craved more. I felt like I wasn't as attached to the family (except for the daughter) as I would have liked to be for the separation to feel awful. Instead it felt like each member of the family was fine with it for their own reasons (which of course meant it didn't feel as devastating.)

I really enjoyed reading this story and really appreciated its unique perspective and protagonist.

Thank you to NetGalley and Legend Press for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin.

April 27, 2019 – Started Reading