Ash Rocketship's Reviews > The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

bookshelves: 2019

I ENJOYED THIS SO MUCH! I wasn't sure that I would like it once I actually started reading because I'm not big on anything historical and I'm just a little bit too dumb for any science fiction that treads through concepts of time, but I ended up getting so, so invested in it that it didn't really matter. I like Harry SO MUCH and he's a wonderful narrator to spend time with and North's mythos is so narrowly defined that sort of time travel elements never became particularly unwieldy, regardless of me yelling "SO EVERY MOMENT IN HUMAN EXISTENCE IS HAPPENING AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME FOREVER IN PERPETUITY?!" loudly at my wife at least twice. This was just good, plain and simple. A good story, good writing, a good time with a satisfying ending. Also, it was really very queer in a way that felt so intensely threaded through from Vincent's very first appearance that I sort of didn't know what to do with myself, especially as I was finishing it today after I spent most of my downtime at work trying to think some Big Thoughts about the satisfying/enthralling/necessary nature of queer subtext. I wasn't lying in my update, “He enjoyed toying with me, and, in my way, I enjoyed being toyed with.” is one of the horniest sentences I’ve ever read in my life and I am so glad that I read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

April 28, 2019 – Started Reading
April 28, 2019 – Shelved
May 5, 2019 –
page 39
May 7, 2019 –
page 77
18.47% "i don’t know that i needed to read this right after endgame"
May 14, 2019 –
page 186
May 23, 2019 –
page 328
May 24, 2019 –
page 370
88.73% "“He enjoyed toying with me, and, in my way, I enjoyed being toyed with.” is one of the horniest sentences I’ve ever read in my life!!!!!"
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019