Barbara Carter's Reviews > Home Safe

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg

liked it

Needing a break, I turn to some lighter reading.
I’d picked this novel up at a used bookstore, familiar with Elizabeth Berg, having read several of her other books. But she’s not an author that I feel the need to go out and buy everything she writes.
I have her book Escaping into the Open: the art of writing true, which I love. Great tips on writing and a great personal story of how she became a writer.
Back to this book: home safe. It is a like a quiet car drive through the country, even though it’s the journey of a woman after her husband suddenly dies. She a writer, finding herself unable to write. It’s her journey of regaining some sense of semblance to her life again.
I like on page 254, two women discussing how they wish their children could stay small forever.
What if it really did happen that way? Wouldn’t it get boring? Wouldn’t you get awfully tired of changing diapers and cutting up food into pea-sized pieces? Wouldn’t you walk into the nursery one day and say why don’t you just grow up?
She said,” I know it’s trite, but isn’t it really true that life is so beautiful because it’s so fleeting and fragile?”
This book is about everyday life without any big dramatic twists or turns.
At one point I thought the story was going in one direction, and glad it didn’t, that it didn’t fall into that predictable pattern.
I don’t want to give much about this book away, but if you like a nice quiet read, take a chance. And I especially loved the image of the bird on the egg on the cover!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Safe.

Started Reading