Neer's Reviews > Death in Four Letters

Death in Four Letters by Francis Beeding

U 50x66

did not like it
bookshelves: 1930s, brit-lit, libraries, mysteries, reads-19, vintage-mystery, connect-5-francis-beeding
Read 3 times. Last read April 28, 2019.

After the enjoyable No Fury, I picked up this book by Beeding with a great deal of anticipation, esp as the first few pages had me thinking that this would be a local murder mystery rather than one involving international affairs. However, it was not to be and my disappointment was further accentuated when I realised that our hero, the journalist Francis Dodd, expected his fiancee, Marjorie, an accomplished surgeon to give up her practice once she was married to him. That she had agreed to this arrangement was even more irritating. The initial fast-paced tempo of the book had at least me turning the pages quickly but the moment the novel entered Germany and we were given a glimpse of the brutality of a budding totalitarian state, the book began to drag. Unfortunately, even the travails of the hero and his friend (given to uttering such Wildean statements as "I can resist everything except temptation") failed to rouse my sympathy as our freedom fighters had suffered worse brutalities at the hand of our British masters. Even Hagen (a stand-in for Hitler) receiving (literally) a kick in the ass did not endear the book to me.

Why couldn't Beeding stick to writing local murder mysteries?

First Line: It is annoying to spend a vacant afternoon practising iron shots alone at Worplesfield, especially when your chances of playing on that admirable course at a time when it is not unpleasantly overcrowded are few and far between.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in Four Letters.

Finished Reading