Sherry's Reviews > Chained

Chained by Kim Fielding

I’m not always a fan of short reads, but this one really works. In less than 150 pages, the author was able to create a terrific paranormal romance with fully realized characters that had me completely hooked.

Set in 1989, Chained involves an investigation of a shady Hollywood agent by Terry Brandt, who works for the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs. Terry at first seems rather shallow, the kind of guy who lives for his job while avoiding personal entanglements. But as the story goes on, the reader learns that Terry has reasons for not getting too close, including losing people to AIDS.

While he’s undercover, Terry meets Edge, who provides security for the nefarious agent. Since this is a Bureau story, I think it’s OK to reveal that Edge is a supernatural creature, but you’ll have to read to discover more. Suffice it to say, his story not a happy one.

Edge feels that he must be loyal to the agent, even though the man takes advantage of him and abuses him horribly. Edge’s loyalty doesn’t stop him from having doubts, though, doubts that come to a head once he is assigned to keep an eye on Terry, who treats him with kindness and consideration. As the two men spend time together, they come to care about each other, setting the stage for both their romance and the resolution of Terry’s investigation.

In addition to well-drawn characters and an interesting plot (one that even has a bit of a twist), I have to mention the strength of Fielding’s worldbuilding. The paranormal elements are great, but so is her depiction of 1989 Los Angeles. She does an especially good job of painting the devastation of the AIDS epidemic with just a few mentions in the story.

I’d highly recommend this book for anyone who likes paranormal romance. It’s the fourth in Fielding’s Bureau series, but you don’t have to read all the others to enjoy it.

A copy of this book was provided by the author for review; all opinions expressed are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chained.

Started Reading