Robert Owens's Reviews > You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio...My Wild Rock 'n' Roll Life

You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio...My Wild Rock 'n' Roll Life by Anita Gevinson

it was ok
bookshelves: biography, nonfiction, music, philadelphia, kindle

Recently, I read I'll Sleep When I'm Dead The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon by Crystal Zevon. In it were numerous references to the Philly DJ. I grew up listening to Philly radio. Who was the DJ? Could it possibly by Anita? A quick search on the 'Net and it was confirmed, Anita was in fact the DJ. That search led me to this book.

For those of us north of 50 who grew up listening to Philly radio, we know that WMMR is king of the town. Or at least once upon a time was king of the town. WYSP came along a little later and for a while captured the listening audience's attention. Anita was part of that format. That is when I listened. I know I had heard her at MMR earlier, but her "Ask Anita" noonday timeslot was awesome. I know I called in at least once regarding Steve Carlton's home run the night previous. I have fond memories of listening to Anota on the radio.

This book did nothing to help her legacy. I had been oblivious to her relationship with Warren Zevon until I read the other book. Even though she was not named in that book, I got more (or at least as much) information about the relationship from his ex-wife than I did from Anita in her own book.

This was a mess of a book. But frankly, Anita sounds like a mess. She stumbled into radio. She wanted special treatment; she got it. She did dope and seemingly every man who passed in front of her. Apparently, she never had bad sex (I suspect to keep from being sued for detailing the deeds here). From Bob Weir, Darryl Hall, Zevon, etc., Anita did them all. And she was high all the time.

Eventually, WYSP syndicated Howard Stern (I was in college when that happened) and fired Anita. That sounds like about the end of Anita's radio career . . . at least in Philly.

So, now in her sixties, she comes off as a hasbeen who details her sordid life in a kiss-and-tell book that is haphazardly put together. I think I saw something that says she self-published. It has that feel for it. There are extreme changes of pace, timing issues, and lack of details throughout the book.

The second star is merely because I was taken back to my younger days on Memory Lane. If you read Kindle Unlimited and are interested, have a go. Otherwise, save your cash.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio...My Wild Rock 'n' Roll Life.

April 27, 2019 – Shelved