Cheri's Reviews > Secrets in a Small Town

Secrets in a Small Town by Nicole Stiling

1994963

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019-genre-challenge, 2019-reads, arc, lgbtq, mystery-thriller, netgalley

I wanted to like this book so much! The beginning grabbed me and I laughed a lot through the first several chapters so I thought I was in luck. I got over the fact that this very, very likely was a Once Upon a Time fan fic - which I normally don't care for much unless the writing is really well done - and decided to just roll with it. After all, Micki and Savannah had great chemistry and banter and there was a cute kid and fun secondary characters. All the makings of a fun read.

And then the police work started.

I've been told many times - a few while reading this book and chatting about it with a friend - that I'm just too hard on f/f romance novels. And I probably am. But in my defense, if a main plot arc of a romance is solving a case and the main character solving it is a police officer - even in a rom/com - the police work should make sense and be somewhat believable. I didn't think that happened here.

I did like the author's voice and her humor so I would certainly try her next book. This one had too many rough edges for me to get into properly.

Thanks to Bold Strokes Books and NetGalley for the chance to read an author I'd not heard of before!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets in a Small Town.

April 27, 2019 – Shelved
May 9, 2019 – Started Reading
May 9, 2019 –
2.0% "Love the opening!"
June 4, 2019 –
83.0% "It's taking me much longer to get through the last few chapters than it did the rest of the book. I really wish the police/mystery portion was better. Micki is funny and she and Savannah have great chemistry but, wow, she's just not a very good cop..."
June 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Megan You suck. :) I liked it.... so there.

Cheri I wanted to like it as much as you did! But I suck.