Vani's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

bookshelves: to-read

Okay I'm going to read this because everyone and their mannequin is in love with it but am I really the only person who's bothered by how everyone's favorite gay books are written by women instead of... idk... gay men?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

April 27, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Lance As someone who identifies as gay, I’d say this one is better than most because the author herself is queer, which means it doesn’t come from a place of fetishization. But yeah there really is a big issue in the book community with straight women writing male-male romance... which more often that not leads to fetishization.

message 2: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Lance wrote: "As someone who identifies as gay, I’d say this one is better than most because the author herself is queer, which means it doesn’t come from a place of fetishization. But yeah there really is a big..."

That is really comforting! I'm glad to hear it. It took me years to read Simon Vs. because I was so bothered by it. I try not to read books if the author hasn't stayed in their lane.

Lance Vani wrote: "Lance wrote: "As someone who identifies as gay, I’d say this one is better than most because the author herself is queer, which means it doesn’t come from a place of fetishization. But yeah there r..."

That's interesting, especially since Simon Vs. (apart from being my favorite book of all time) was the book that made me comfortable with being gay! Honestly, I think it comes down to what the intention in terms of fetishization vs. representation but it's nice to hear someone who watches out for stuff like that. I hope you enjoy this book!

message 4: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Lance wrote: "Vani wrote: "Lance wrote: "As someone who identifies as gay, I’d say this one is better than most because the author herself is queer, which means it doesn’t come from a place of fetishization. But..."

I think that's a great way to think about it!! I'm queer and it's a sore spot because of that but I'm totally going to try to think about intent more instead of being salty on sight. I'm glad you spoke to me about it 😊

nova ryder ☼ I think another thing that helps is that it’s not just gay boys. There’s so much representation in this book all across the board with gender, sexuality, and race.

message 6: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani nova ryder ☼ wrote: "I think another thing that helps is that it’s not just gay boys. There’s so much representation in this book all across the board with gender, sexuality, and race."

That's awesome! I have it on hold at the library 😁

message 7: by Kyle (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle Queer here. Absolutely hated this book.

message 8: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Kyle wrote: "Queer here. Absolutely hated this book."

I see that! You're the first person I've seen who didn't like it.

message 9: by Kyle (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle Vani wrote: "Kyle wrote: "Queer here. Absolutely hated this book."

I see that! You're the first person I've seen who didn't like it."

I know, it’s a very unpopular opinion haha.

message 10: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Kyle wrote: "Vani wrote: "Kyle wrote: "Queer here. Absolutely hated this book."

I see that! You're the first person I've seen who didn't like it."

I know, it’s a very unpopular opinion haha."

I'm on board with a lot of what you said so we'll see how I feel I guess haha.

message 11: by Paulette (new)

Paulette Keep hearing about this book, would love to read it

message 12: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Paulette wrote: "Keep hearing about this book, would love to read it"

Same! I'm looking forward to it.

message 13: by Kyle (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle Vani wrote: "Kyle wrote: "Vani wrote: "Kyle wrote: "Queer here. Absolutely hated this book."

I see that! You're the first person I've seen who didn't like it."

I know, it’s a very unpopular opinion haha."

I'..."

I sincerely hope your experience goes better than mine.
Happy reading!!

Adriana Martinez Figueroa Hey the author doesn’t identify as a woman but as a non-binary person. Please don’t misgender them.

message 15: by Vani (last edited May 17, 2019 05:57AM) (new) - added it

Vani Adriana wrote: "Hey the author doesn’t identify as a woman but as a non-binary person. Please don’t misgender them."

That actually makes me feel better too--but as their Goodreads bio (which they would have written) repeatedly refers to them as "she", you can see why I'd have been confused.

Christina Yeah it annoys me too. I'm really excited to read Red, White & Royal but it's def an exception to my rule to read own voices. Casey McQuiston is lgbt I think but it's still :/ not own voices

Lizzy (Bent Bookworm) I’ve had that same thought. Like almost all M/M romances are written by women and I’m just like 🤔

message 18: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Christina wrote: "Yeah it annoys me too. I'm really excited to read Red, White & Royal but it's def an exception to my rule to read own voices. Casey McQuiston is lgbt I think but it's still :/ not own voices"

Yeah it's an exception for me too! The author being queer has me hopeful.

message 19: by Vani (new) - added it

Vani Lizzy (Bent Bookworm) wrote: "I’ve had that same thought. Like almost all M/M romances are written by women and I’m just like 🤔"

Yeah! It's so weird to me. I get the want for representation but if people aren't representing themselves it feels disingenuous? Idk I'm gonna give it a shot.