Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom

Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom by Sylvia Plath

bookshelves: short-story, classics

This is my second Plath book--but first story--and I absolutely loved it.

This is definitely one of those stories that will stay with me for a long, long time. Not just because it's so well written, but because it's multi-layered, open to interpretation, contains peculiar characters (loved Mary's innocence and the knitting lady's knowledge), and really makes you think.

When Mary Ventura gets on the train, it seems like her parents are really eager for her to go on this trip. They're quite pushy about it, even cold about their determination to get their daughter to leave. It's not until the train starts moving and the imagery surfaces all around Mary that I realised just how morbid the beginning was.

I mean, once you realise what's going on, their behaviour is nothing but disturbing. Actually, the whole story is like a fever-dream that throws the reader into as much confusion as the poor main character.

On a subconscious level, I knew instantly what this train symbolised and what the trip would lead to, but the story is written in such a clever way that it's easy to ignore the obvious until it's glaring you in the face. And boy is it a heavy thing to deal with, especially if you know anything about Plath's tragic life.

I'm glad I read this in one sitting. (Even if it was peppered with breaks to discuss things with my daughter. After all, this is her recommendation and her book.)

I seriously LOVED this story and can't believe it was ever rejected, because it's a classic work of art. It truly is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom.

April 27, 2019 – Shelved