G.J. Griffiths's Reviews > Bloodstone Bludgeon

Bloodstone Bludgeon by S.D.  Brown

bookshelves: contemp-fiction, cosy-murder-mystery, crime-thriller, my-reviews, ya

This fast moving and well written crime thriller was a very entertaining read for me. It is full of interesting characters with curious, and often quirky, personal traits. The central female character owns a store that sells rocks and stones, worked to make them as attractive as possible to her potential customers. When a particular bloodstone that she has ordered becomes central to a murder incident Allie, the owner, turns into detective. She was once a district attorney and is unable to resist proceeding with her ‘enquiries’, thus becoming entangled in a whole mess of complications that include polygamous families, possible paedophilia and a likeable New Age believer. The inclusion of a child ‘bride’ victim, an abandoned puppy and various touches of light humour in the story added obviously, irresistible hooks for me to continue reading. I’ve no doubt that they will appeal to other fans of this kind of ‘cosy murder’ mystery, notwithstanding the very serious edge also to be found in it. I was left wondering about the likelihood of certain polygamous communities still existing in more remote areas of Arizona – a disturbing thought.

Unfortunately, I found some typographical errors in the copy I read and this affected my final star rating of a fascinating book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodstone Bludgeon.

Started Reading