Glory's Reviews > Ulysses S. Grant: The Unlikely Hero

Ulysses S. Grant by Michael Korda

5642072
Feb 18, 2012

bookshelves: biography, american-civil-war, ulysses-s-grant

A brief and colloquial book, with a charm as opinionated, ironic, and humorous as a good magazine article, with a prose that is highly readable, never bogs down, and paces itself with the occasional dwelling on important controversies in Grant's life. What makes the book for me is the author's breadth of knowledge concerning other generals (Wellington, Napoleon) and presidents (Ike, Roosevelt) in comparison to Grant. It was a fabulous book to spin through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ulysses S. Grant.

February 18, 2012 – Started Reading
February 18, 2012 – Shelved
February 18, 2012 – Shelved as: biography
February 18, 2012 – Shelved as: american-civil-war
February 18, 2012 –
7.0% "Poor Grant -- failed in everything, even his Tomb placement. Only his generalship shines..."
February 19, 2012 –
62.0% "Interesting brief journey. Now I wonder about everything, always looking for primary sources..."
February 20, 2012 –
68.0% "Page 111: What a great book to spin through. I made a huge amount of progress, and the prose doesn't bog one down, even in battles' brief description. It's slightly ironic, abbreviative, and delves into Grant apologetics once in a while at important impasses (Order 11, drinking). A great book."
February 22, 2012 –
75.0% "I love this author's breadth of knowledge concerning other generals (Wellington, Napoleon) and presidents (Ike) in comparison to Grant."
February 23, 2012 – Finished Reading