Dannii Elle's Reviews > The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow

bookshelves: recommended-reading, fantastic-fabrications

“It is at the moments when the doors open, when things flow between the worlds, that stories happen.”

Alix E. Harrow just wrote the story of my heart. This follows January, a lonely girl who only finds solace inside the pages of books. She also finds a family inside of one too, when a mysterious book about strange people and stranger worlds is given to her in a similarly mysterious and inexplicable fashion. Through both this book, and the segments of the other, we find doorways into worlds, the worn edges where one creation brushes alongside others, and discover windows into souls, when the characters embark on the most arduous of journeys when they venture into them.

January was an absolute horror of a child and an absolute delight of a protagonist. Despite beaten by her lot in life and almost succumbing to the pressure of moulding into the person her saviour would have her become, she retains her free spirit, her wild soul, and her headstrong personality. She is joined on her adventures by the most forward-thinking and behomian of characters. I ardently longed to belong with their ragtag ensemble. My personal favourite was Bad the dog, who could always be trusted upon to behave with zero grace and dignity and deliver snubs and snarls in abundance to whomever he disliked.

I fell in head-over-heels type love with everything about this story. It exuded emotion and had me alternatively filled with tears of joy and despair. The escapist nature of the text could not fail to appeal to any bibliophile but it was the characters who shared the story, the lyrical narrative that Harrow delivered, and the heartstrings it consistently tugged upon that had me in such ardent admiration of and unrestrained love with this flawless novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten Thousand Doors of January.

April 27, 2019 – Shelved
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2019 – Started Reading
July 4, 2019 –
page 1
0.26% ""When I was seven, I found a Door. There - look how tall and proud the word stands on the page now, the belly of that D like a black archway leading into white nothing.""
July 4, 2019 –
page 22
5.73% ""Those of you who are more than casually familiar with books - those of you who spend your free afternoons in fusty bookshops, who offer furtive, kindly strokes along the spines of familiar titles - understand that page-riffling is an essential element in the process of introducing oneself to a new book.""
July 5, 2019 –
page 33
8.59% ""I happen to believe every story is a love story if you catch it at the right moment, slantwise in the light of dusk.""
July 6, 2019 –
page 91
23.7% ""It's a profoundly strange feeling, to stumble across someone whose desires are shaped so closely to your own, like reaching toward your reflection in a mirror and finding warm flesh under your fingertips. If you should ever be lucky enough to find that magical, fearful symmetry, I hope you're brave enough to grab it with both hands and not let go.

I wasn't. Then.""
July 9, 2019 –
page 125
32.55% ""It's easy to hate people in books. I'm a reader, too, and I know how characters can turn into Villains at the drop of an authorial hat (those capital Vs like dagger points or sharpened teeth). It just isn't like that in real life.""
July 25, 2019 –
page 144
37.5% ""He fell asleep worrying vaguely that he'd developed some sort of murmur in his heart.

The following morning he recognized it as something much more serious: the discovery of his life's purpose.""
July 30, 2019 –
page 156
40.63% ""It's funny how quickly you descend from civilised young lady to madwoman; it was as if this beastly, boundaryless creature had been living just beneath my skin for years, lashing her tail.

But there are places built for holding beastly women.""
July 31, 2019 –
page 211
54.95% ""People never got to stay in their Wonderlands, did they? Alice and Dorothy and the Darlings, all dragged back to the mundane world and tucked into bed by their handlers.""
July 31, 2019 –
page 250
65.1% ""They always end up alone in the stories - witches, I mean - living in the woods or mountains or locked in towers. I suppose it would take a brave man to love a witch, and men are mostly cowards.""
July 31, 2019 – Shelved as: recommended-reading
July 31, 2019 – Shelved as: fantastic-fabrications
July 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Beautiful cover! Beautiful review!

Dannii Elle Alex wrote: "Beautiful cover! Beautiful review!"

Thank you so much, Alex. This book was an absolute delight both inside and out!

message 3: by Selena (new) - added it

Selena Wonderful review Dannii!

Dannii Elle Selena wrote: "Wonderful review Dannii!"