Laura's Reviews > Top Secret

Top Secret by Sarina Bowen

bookshelves: contemporary, lgtb, romance, sent-by-author, oh-my-panties, until-the-end-of-the-world

description

|ARC kindly sent by the authors in exchange of an honest review|

When we got the notification of this super top secret project by one of my faves Elle and my new found lady Sarina, I was very excited. I have only read other 2 stories with M/M protagonists and 1 of them felt like a bit fetishing in my opinion so I was kind of nervous, but oh boy. It was both hot and adorable as fuck.

Agreeing to a threesome for your girlfriend’s birthday is bound to be interesting and that’s exactly how Keaton feels. I liked this guy a lot. He was sweet, funny and downright ready to take what life throws at him. Try anything once is his motto. You know, for science.

It was actually quite refreshing meeting a guy so down to anything and so willing to work things out even when the odds are not in his favor. Keaton was a pretty solid character with a solid character development in terms of what he wanted for himself and whose opinion truly mattered.

Then we had Luke. He was a tricky one and both easy and hard to empathize with. His family is shitty and he’s an ambition young man that wants to make himself a place in the world. He works extra hard and want with so much passion, so it’s very impressive how little he can reveal of it. You wouldn’t have guessed how hard life has been for him and how much he appreciates little things in life.
At first, I thought Keaton was the one whose life was going to change the most and was going to be taken out of his comfort zone and thus he was going to be sort of the breakout character, but nope. Fore me it was Luke. Luke, with his commitment issues and shitty past, was the one whose heart opened up the most and learned so much about letting people in and love.

The romance really worked and while I knew from chapter one how things were going to end up, I did not expect half of the things that happened and that was amazing. I laughed, I swoon and I teared up a bit.

Now, I was nervous and intriguing when it came to the sex scenes because M/M is not something I gravitate towards to and the few M/M relationships I have read, well, they’re always a bit violent and with so much emphasis on domination just because they are men and it bothered me. With this book I am happy we got soft and loving while also getting hot and sexy. I was pleased with what I was reading and felt like a good representation of gay men (after consulting with a friend of mine who told me him and his boyfriend don’t always fuck like trying to break each other in two).

The only thing I may complain about is that they authors had the opportunity to create some rivals to lovers tension for a bit but they didn’t take it. It could’ve been great for, not only heating up the sexual atmosphere but can you imagine these two confessing something during an argument and then trying to backpedal? We had things like this in the story but not that layered.

Overall, I enjoyed this book A LOT and if the other books from Elle and Sarina are like this one, I HAVE TO READ THEM ASAP.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Top Secret.

April 26, 2019 – Started Reading
April 26, 2019 – Shelved as: lgtb
May 2, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: oh-my-panties
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: until-the-end-of-the-world

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alba Sánchez You need to read "HIM" by this two, you won't regret it :)

Laura I def need to!