Tari's Reviews > Murder from Scratch

Murder from Scratch by Leslie Karst

bookshelves: apr-2019-ereader-challenge

Sally found herself playing host to her blind cousin Evelyn after Evelyn had come home to find her mother's dead body. After poking around the house a little and hearing about how a suicide note was worded, Evelyn was completely sure her mom hadn't committed suicide, and she wanted Sally to help her prove it. This was an exciting case that had several good suspects, red herrings along the way, and just when I thought we were being double-red herringed into thinking it was one person, I was still wrong, but it was a fun ride. The showdown was great and Sally really kept her brains about her and made some pretty smart moves and observations, one of which involved a fork in the perp's face.

During the case, Sally and Det. Vargas started being on a first-name basis, so maybe we'll get to see them go a on a few dates eventually. He seemed to appreciate her and Evelyn's help in this investigation. Sally's dad even found a lady to date. It'll be interesting to see what happens next. I really enjoyed the character of Evelyn! She was a strong young woman and an amazing cook, which told Sally from the get-go that they'd get along famously when her dad asked her to take Evelyn in for a few weeks. It's always a fun trip to Santa Cruz!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder from Scratch.

April 25, 2019 – Started Reading