Leslie Lindsay's Reviews > The Bobcat

The Bobcat by Katherine Forbes Riley

Haunting and lyrical, magical and yet melancholy, about traumas and art, imagination, a meditation on nature, nuture, and even medicine.

THE BOBCAT (Skyhorse/Arcade Publishing, June 18 2019) is one of those quite debuts that will grab you by the scruff of your neck and won't let you go. It's such a deliberate and descriptive read (don't be fooled by the slim size), and so well done, you'll find yourself almost hallucinating as you read. That's a good thing.

Laurelie is a young art student at a college in Vermont. She's bright and yet scarred by a violent sexual attack leaving her unwilling and unable to trust. She retreats to a cottage in the woods where she explores her world through art and nature, where she is the most comfortable in the comfort of a little boy she babysits. I absolutely loved her cottage--but then again, I would, being a connoisseur of homes. While out along the river banks, Laurelie and the boy come across a pregnant--and injured--bobcat, and the hiker who has been following it for miles.

Both the hiker and Laurelie are struggling with past traumas--and their stories intersect and weave, bringing them both closer to recovery and reconnection under the guidance of a very skilled and gifted writer.

THE BOBCAT is lyrical and unique with touches of the classics like THE BELL JAR (Sylvia Plath) meets Shirley Jackson's THE HANGSMAN with maybe some touches of Margaret Atwood's THE CAT'S EYE (maybe not??)...mood and atmosphere reign prominent in THE BOBCAT, which really should be savored, despite it's slim packaging. The prose is gorgeous, glimmering on the page, making you feel as if reading in a sun-dappled dream. I found the end took a different turn and I was quite delighted in this almost science-fiction spin. But rest assured, THE BOBCAT is alluring and literary, about art, imagination, the powerful bonds of humanity, science, and magical realism.

For all my reviews, including author interviews, please see: www.leslielindsay.com|Always with a Book
Special thanks to Arcade Books/Skyhorse Publishing for this review copy. All thoughts are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bobcat.

April 25, 2019 – Shelved