kglibrarian 's Reviews > Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love

Inheritance by Dani Shapiro

bookshelves: memoirs

Before reading Inheritance, I had heard Dani Shapiro talk about it on several podcast episodes, all of which were fascinating. When I picked up the book, I expected to like it but also to know pretty much everything inside of it. I failed to remember, however, how moving and utterly stunning Shapiro's writing is. Even if I had heard her tell her story 100 times, I still would have been blown away by this incredible work of art.

Though Shapiro has written several other memoirs, this one focuses on her recent discovery that her father was not her biological father. Doing a DNA test on a whim, she receives results that reveal that she is only 52 percent Jewish, even though she is certain that both of her parents were Jewish. She is led on an emotional journey through her secretive past, uncovering shocking discoveries about her parents and other relatives. Not only is her latest book a captivating exploration of fertility practices in the early 60s, but it is also an in depth look at the philosophical and ethical issues surrounding identity and sperm donation.

Shapiro's writing is emotional without being overly sentimental, and her sentences are crafted with such care that they seem to contain only the essential words, giving the narrative a beautiful clarity. Once again, Dani Shapiro has written a page-turner that gets to the heart of the human experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

Started Reading