Zaneta @ I'm Fully Booked's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

did not like it

I took a day to reset my thoughts after I finished this book, in hopes I could formulate something even resembling a proper review. But I don't think I can do it.

Maybe soft sci-fi/classic sci-fi/whatever the fuck this is, is just not for me. Maybe I was too stupid to understand this book for what it is (I doubt it - I understood plenty). People say it is a masterpiece, the first book of its kind in the genre (though, not the first sci-fi ever written, mind you, that crown belongs to Mary Shelley), and let's not forget "but the world building!".

I've a few things to say, to remain somewhat civil. The world building was the only thing this book had going for it, and it's just done wrong. It's definitely unique and elaborate, but Herbert, being a crap writer, did not at all sell it to me. We're told so many things, yet there is no imagery in it. We're not shown things.
The characters are awful! Paul is the BIGGEST Mary Sue I've ever read about. He's good at everything. He never makes mistakes. He just knows things and learns about things from his own head. He's basically all knowing and all powerful. And oh so boring! Every single other character is the same. There is no development of any sort. They're all one dimensional and they're there to further a poor plot.
Speaking of the plot. It's very straightforward and predictable. Nothing shocked me in this book. Nothing excited me. Nothing kept me interested... there was no exposition, no build up to anything. Things just happened, and were explained at the time they were happening...

I think the fault lies in the writing. In theory, if written well, I would really enjoy an Middle Eastern inspired story full of intricate politics, magic (for lack of a better word), mythology and revenge. It sounds like my jam, honestly. But what Herbert did with it is atrocious. Fight me. I know a lot of you absolutely love it, but... it does not compute in my brain how. It just doesn't.

(Heeey, a first 1 star of the year)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

April 24, 2019 – Shelved