Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)'s Reviews > Osgood As Gone

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett

it was ok
bookshelves: meh, not-a-thriller, techynerdstuff, didn-t-finish, weird-fiction

I was gifted a free copy of this book by the author in return a review.

Osgood As Gone sounds like a book I would be into; ghosts, unreliable narrator down on their luck, drama between friends and a mystery that rivals a Scooby-Doo episode! Fun stuff!
However, I couldn't get into the story. The writing was confusing and messy and Pru was all over the place like the author was trying to combine a bunch of characters together to please everyone all in one person! That's a long sentence just to say I didn't like them, or the other characters. I liked Zach, the tech nerd, but he felt like a facsimile of every nerdy foil anywhere. Pru was the too-cool-for-school alcoholic too, BUT don't forget she's also queer and maybe trans?!IDK, it was nice to see nonstraight folk represented in a book, but can they be good people ?!
I was also turned off at the repeated mentions of dildos. Like, I get it Pru likes to fuck and use dildos; cool, whatever, but the constant mentioning of them just chilling around felt like a bad sitcom playing a laugh track. This was in the first two chapters and I want you to know because I had to know. Also, WTF is up with the em dash use?! It's cool and all, but does almost every paragraph have to end with one?! Let these people finish their damn thoughts!

I got 45% through this story because I hate to be that bitch who writes a review for a book without reading it, and I want my time back.

Osgood As Gone has a neat cover, but it wasn't for me. Did you like This Body's Not Big Enough for Both of Us but wanted it with ghosts and some paranormal bits? Then read this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osgood As Gone.

April 1, 2019 – Started Reading