Raafi's Reviews > A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo

A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss

bookshelves: 2019, comic-manga-gravel-picbook, english, from-library

The first time I picked up this book from the current-hold shelf of the library, I didn't remember why I placed request it. After reading several pages, I finally knew why. It is an LGBT book about a bunny who meet another bunny and get attached to each other. They are planning to get married until The Stink Bug--which was the In Charge and the Important--refused their arrangement.

The bug said, "Boy Bunnies Marry Girl Bunnies. Girl Bunnies Marry Boy Bunnies. This Is the Wa It Has Always Been. You. Are. Different. And Different Is Bad."

The responses were so shocking for the bug. The bunnies' friends told their differences. A badger said that he eats sandwiches crust-first. A hedgehog said that he reads the ends of books before the beginnings just to make sure the books are not too sad for him. By that, the animals voted for the In Charge and who is the Important. The majority voted "Not the Stink Bug".

And you know what, the bunny is Mike Pence's pet!

Even though the characters are animals, this book is very profound about the issue. As addressed by the American Library Association, this book is one of the most complained-about books in public libraries in 2018. This book are banned in libraries in the US for "including LGBTQIA+ content, and for political and religious viewpoints."

I would say that the book is like a dynamite inside a candy. The illustrations are so cute I couldn't lie and it seems like any other picture books for children. However, the content is for adult. Children might read this book but with parental guidance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo.

April 23, 2019 – Started Reading