Leanne Davis's Reviews > Holding Out

Holding Out by Serena Bell

Becca caught my interest from book number two when her insecurity made her so fragile due to a lifelong learning disability that made reading difficult and therefore all of her schooling hard and mostly unsuccessful. She didn't have parental help or guidance and it was left to her big sister Alia to first notice her issues, and then help her. The influence wasn't enough to fully make up for the damage it did to her self-confidence. Now, however, Becca is all grown up and she's trying to embrace a new version of herself in Becca, 2.0. I loved her growth to this more confident, decisive and secure woman. She also is still a virgin and annoyed with this and realizes it's far past time to correct this.

Enter her friend Griff who is someone she is both attracted to and comfortable with. He's friends with her sister and brother-in-law, and it's at a game night something changes between them and the sparks fly and grow and it's decided: he's going to help her solve her virginity problem.

Which he does and does so well... there's no way they are going to follow their own "rules" for her deflowering and do it again... but first they have to figure it out and there is a unexpected emotional connection that forms after this that's far beyond the hot sex they find together.

Griff has own issues with PTSD and flashbacks that Becca witnesses first hand which also incorporates the pain his ex-wife caused him, but Becca is convinced he still loves her.

The book explores their deepening connection as they soon realize what they share is far deeper than a one night learning session for Becca. Griff seems to be one of the few who see's past Becca's learning disability as a problem and tries to help her see the gift she could give to others in her compassion and understanding for what they go through. He encourages her to tutor students with him and shows Becca how far she's come from the fragile teen who didn't know herself.

This book touched my heart and mostly it's Becca for me. As someone who has a child with a learning disability it's hard to explain to others who haven't witnessed it, the damage it can do to their self esteem and inner self. I loved how well done this aspect of Becca was done and also having her find a new and stronger self as she's growing and realizing what she has to offer others. I also loved the moment she realizes she can help other kids because she's been there... and in the end how Becca finds Becca 3.0 and by then the journey to her is amazing. I loved this book and highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holding Out.

April 12, 2019 – Started Reading