Robin Loves Reading's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

It was a decision made out of friendship, kindness and love. However, when Anna offers the gift of a lifetime to her best friend Milly, and her husband, there was no way to imagine the heartbreak that would follow. Milly was adopted as a child, and her one dream was to become a mother herself. After having years of problems conceiving, and then receiving the worst news of all, Anna offers her egg and Milly's brother-in-law Jack contributed his sperm. Now, Milly can finally have a child of her own.

This was the perfect opportunity and no one expected any problems. However, problems is what were experienced. First for Milly. Then for Anna. Everything that the friends had certainly came to a test. More than one actually. Not only do Milly and Anna experience agonizing trials, but the baby, Alice, as she grows into a young girl, is found to have a devastating condition.

During the pages of this book I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness. While Milly was preparing for the birth of her daughter, there were certainly many things that caused a lot of grief. For one thing, as mentioned, this strained her relationship with Anna. Then there were things about Milly's past that came to light that showed how deep her insecurity actually was. Furthermore, we learned about things that were very sad and heartbreaking that left no doubt as to what direction this book would eventually take. At not even 50% into this book, I felt very sad for both Anna and Milly.

I did actually have to put the book down because I had to stop and analyze everyone. I had to think about Milly, her parents, especially her mother. Then I had to worry about Anna and the imbalance of her relationship with Milly and how that as formed, even though they had been friends for quite a long time. Then there was Matt, Milly's husband, who had tried so hard to be supportive. I also began to feel very torn about Jack and his role in all of this and what type of things that might come up when the baby was born.

This sensitive book discusses infertility, IVF, postpartum depression and the diagnosis and outlook for little Alice. In the end, I felt rather torn by this story. In some ways this felt like a rather ethical read and was definitely a story of what if. Not My Daughter is the third book by Kate Hewitt that I have read. This story, like the others, is very effective and ran me through a gamut of emotions. I definitely look forward to continuing to read more books by this talented author.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

April 23, 2019 – Shelved
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: women-s-fiction
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader Terrific Review, Robin!