megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Long Call

The Long Call by Ann Cleeves

bookshelves: arcs-read

Darkly evocative and smartly written!

My first Ann Cleeves did not disappoint. I am already anticipating the next installment in this all new, Two Rivers, series and it hasn't even been announced yet! That's always a good sign.

I was so pleasantly surprised with this. By far the best traditional mystery I have read this year. It is obvious from the first pages that Cleeves is a veteran mystery writer.

Following Detective Matthew Venn and two of his junior colleagues, Jen and Ross, was an absolute delight. I felt like I was there with them, learning the evidence as they were. Matthew was just a lovely protagonist. Thoughtful and introverted, extremely smart and dedicated to the idea of truth and justice for all.

At the beginning of our tale, Matthew is attending his estranged Father's funeral. Standing in the back he observes neighbors, and other locals, he might once have considered friends.

But he has left that part of his life far behind after the strict evangelical community his parents were a part of could not accept that he is gay. Basically excommunicated from the community, he hasn't spoken with either of his parents in many years.

Upon quietly making his exit from the church, he receives a phone call from one of his colleagues. The body of a murdered man has just been found on a beach not far from his current location. He of course rushes to the scene and thus begins an investigation into the community of which he was once a part.

I loved the tone of this novel. From start to finish the writing was so intelligent and gripping. It gave me strong Broadchurch vibes whilst also reminding me of the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith. I would say if you enjoy the Cormoran books, you should DEFINITELY pick this one up.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Minotaur Books, for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. I am in love with it and cannot wait to continue on with the series!!! Well done, Ms. Cleeves!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Call.

April 23, 2019 – Shelved
April 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2019 – Started Reading
November 6, 2019 –
November 6, 2019 –
20.0% "This reminds me a lot of the show, Broadchurch...

P.S. that's not a bad thing."
November 7, 2019 –
November 7, 2019 –
November 8, 2019 –
November 8, 2019 –
November 10, 2019 –
November 12, 2019 –
November 12, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
November 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Dita (new)

Dita Darkly evocative... great description.

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Darkly evocative... great description."
You make me blush. 😊 Thank you! Have you read this one yet?

message 3: by Dita (new)

Dita No, but I’m going to. When you say traditional mystery, I say, “yes please!”

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "No, but I’m going to. When you say traditional mystery, I say, “yes please!”" Right!? It felt good to read a traditional mystery for a change. It wasn't trying to out do anyone or throw in ridiculous twists for shock value. It was a really nice reading experience.