Igor Stojanov's Reviews > The Impact of Awakening: Excerpts From the Teachings of Adyashanti

The Impact of Awakening by Adyashanti

I enjoyed reading this discussion in question and answer form. It gives a solid introduction on non-duality, the illusion of the self and the real Truth. In essence, the book covers most of the ego traps that the ego develops to protect itself on the path of enlightenment. But the ego is part of the Self, and to get truly awakened one must also love the Ego.

Some quotes I liked:
-Do not seek after what you yearn for, seek the source of the yearning itself

-In an effort not to feel insecure, in an attempt not to directly face the unknown—which is where the impulse to be free originates—the ego creates a spiritual seeker as a means to avoid it. It is a very intelligent play of the mind, a show, a fantasy,

-Do not seek outside of yourself; you are the sought. Be still and all will come to you.

-The more you step into insecurity, the more you notice how secure and safe it is. Where you just stepped out of was unsafe. Everyone is so miserable because they seek security in things that are limited and always moving and changing unpredictably.

-I have witnessed countless people turn away from the experience and revelation of freedom because in that freedom there is nowhere to hide and nothing to hold onto.

-To have a glimpse of this profound freedom requires very little, but to live it requires the destruction of every concept of self you have ever held or will ever hold.

-Can the mind actually hold this vastness of love full-time, or is it held in the heart? A: I can't relate to the concept of holding. How can you hold what you are?

-The body is a sensing instrument of consciousness. Without the body and the mind, the trees couldn't see themselves. Usually we think that we are looking at a tree, but the tree is looking at itself through us. Without this instrument, the tree doesn't get to see itself. We are sensing instruments of the Divine.

-You are so much less than your experiences, and therefore so much more.

-In the beginning, teachers can help a lot. But the deeper you go, all they can do is point, and clarify, and tell you what you need to do. Only you can take this step

-True devotion has no projection. Otherwise it's being devoted to a fantasy, to an image. This is better known as worship. Worshipping is when you put any head above your own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impact of Awakening.

April 23, 2019 – Shelved