Julia's Reviews > The Kingdom of Copper

The Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty

WOW. S.A. Chakraborty certainly brings the pain! I am beyond enthralled with this book series and the only complaint I have is that I have to wait to read the final book in the trilogy. I am so excited to see how she concludes this heartrending epic tale.

**spoilers**

I do not know how she can possibly bring my favorite characters and my cherished 'ship back from the intense conflict with which she has delivered them. Newly minted King Ali and Nahri spirited away (how??) to Egypt, separated from Zaynab and Muhntadir who are trapped in the City of Brass - which is in ruins and stripped of its magic - Dara (poor, honor-bound, manipulated Dara) banned from his beloved's heart by what the Banu Nahida (how could you, Manizheh!) ordered him to do, and Lubayd dead (NOOOOO)... I am wrecked by that ending, just wrecked.
I'll cop to shipping Nahri and Dara. (for those who hate him you can just ignore the next sentence) I had hoped that Nahri and Dara would get a happy ending, but that does not seem likely. I had hoped that Manizheh would step up and back fill the gaping family-shaped hole in Nahri's heart. I had hoped that Ali might become the Qaid his father - No, *not* Ghassan. WAJED. - always knew he could be. I had hoped Muhntadir would justify Jamshid's trust in him, and that he would become a King with a conscience. None of my hopes are outside the scope of what the third book can do, of course, but the Nahri-Dara 'ship appears to be on the bottom of a Marid-controlled ocean.

I am obviously hooked on this world. Chakraborty is a phenomenal writer and had me from the first paragraph of The City of Brass. The Kingdom of Copper most definitely did not exhibit a "sophomore slump". I have every expectation that - though she may break my heart with Nahri and Dara - I will be with her all the way to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Copper.

April 23, 2019 – Started Reading
April 23, 2019 – Shelved
April 24, 2019 –
63.0% "I am enthralled by this book series! Chakraborty's world building is phenomenal, her characters - from the MC's to the smallest bit player - are vivid and fully-fleshed out with believable motivations which are all at cross-purposes and lead to explosive and believable conflict. My progress through this book is effortless because I HAVE to find out what happens next.

Also? I ship "Danahri""