Eric Layton's Reviews > The God Delusion

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

This is Dawkins. Does it really need a review?

Here I am again giving a 5-star review to a book after just recently saying in reviews elsewhere here that I rarely do this. I've been on a roll lately in picking winners off the library shelves, I suppose.

What's this book about? Well, it's about truth. It's about science. It's about philosophy. What it really is though, is Dawkins' one volume book on deprogramming that which has been programmed into your brain from birth - the beliefs of religion; fairy-tale beings on higher planes of existence who made you and supposedly watch over you as you live your life.

If you are a faithful believer in a god (any god) and the requisite conditions, edicts of behavior, methods of worship, etc. that entail a religion of any type, then do NOT read this book. It will be anathema to you. It will present to you facts and figures and anecdotes relating to the histories of religions and faiths. It will teach you that which you will NEVER be taught in Sunday schools. So avoid this book. Keep your faith.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who feels that you've been inculcated into a sect-like belief system by parents or teachers or preachers/priests, and if you believe yourself to be a logical thinking life form capable of comprehending the written word and contemplating its meaning, then this book should be required reading for you. It will teach you truth, not fairy-tales, not scary stories of vengeful gods, etc. It will also teach you to think.

I spent ten years or so in my teens and early adulthood researching the histories of most of the major religions. I spent 11 years in Catholic schools being force-fed their versions of "reality". My research and studies, which I was able to do because of my excellent Catholic school education (I'm grateful to them for that, anyway), ultimately led me to the truth.

I could have written this book. There were no surprises in its pages for me. However, this is Dawkins. This is a man who is a superlative thinker with peerless skills and a talent for passing along knowledge to others in a way that is both extremely educational and entertaining. If you are seeking truth in your life and your existence, read this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.

April 22, 2019 – Shelved
April 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 12, 2019 – Started Reading
May 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by terry (new)

terry I have very similar personal history as yours. The one "belief" that I do have is that there is some kind of "cosmic consciousness" (i.e. Edger Cayce) that validates stigmata, miracles, some of the new age beliefs. In my thoughts, these are somehow connected to humans but are not god. Where physics meets metaphysics.
Atheists are a religion unto themselves. I prefer an agnostic characterization.

Eric Layton > Atheists are a religion unto themselves. I prefer an agnostic characterization.

I've never understood that comment about atheism being a religion.

Atheism = disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Simple.

Agnostics are fence-sitters in my opinion. They cannot quite decide one way or the other.

message 3: by terry (new)

terry After losing my sanity ( nearly had a breakdown) 50+ years ago I was atheist for a decade until I read Edgar Cayce. I have since adopted the agnostic label and am kinda fence-sitting with one exception. I neither know or care. Why do I have to take a stand on this issue? There are shades of gray. And again: I REALLY do not care myself. I really DO care when those, that are believers in anything, infringe on my right to not believe. OR commit the atrocities that we see most all religions committing every day.

Eric Layton > I really DO care when those, that are believers in anything, infringe on my right to not believe. OR commit the atrocities that we see most all religions committing every day.

And there you go! Now we are BOTH on the same page, brother!