Victoria Rose's Reviews > The Humans

The Humans by Matt Haig

bookshelves: contemporary, made-me-giggle, sci-fi, teary

This novel was honestly a lovely surprise. I bought it in a hurry, on a complete misconception that it was about someone who got turned into a dog (Dogsbody was one of my favourite childhood books so I was very excited), only to discover it had a different but equally mad premise.

Our protagonist is an actual alien who is sent to Earth when a British mathematician solves the Riemann hypothesis. According to the aliens of Vonnadoria, this could lead to a sudden and sweeping development in technology that humans are absolutely not mature or responsible enough to handle. So, the Vonnadorians kill Andrew, the mathematician in question, and replace him with one of their own. This unnamed alien's mission is to make certain that all proof of the solved hypothesis is firmly erased.

It's extremely funny in a fish out of water kind of way. The first few chapters especially had me giggling, as did a later chapter wherein the alien discovers football. However, this novel is a lot more than just funny - it also has real heart as our alien protagonist discovers that humans are not entirely brutal, animalistic, violent idiots. He discovers music, poetry, and relationships, and suddenly his mission on Earth becomes a little more complicated.

As my first Matt Haig book, I'm definitely encouraged to read more of his work. This book was a very soothing balm after some horrible days at work, and definitely gave me a little lift that was deeply appreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Humans.

April 22, 2019 – Started Reading