Dusk_the_daydreamer's Reviews > Grey Skies

Grey Skies by William   Becker

U 50x66

This book was a breath of fresh air in the horror genre of literature. I greatly enjoyed this novel and was impressed by the maturity, dexterity and precision of William's writing; one of the key assets of this book is its staggering and meticulous attention to detail. Will has a fine eye for detail and manages to weave countless seemingly trivial threads to form a complete, cohesive and extraordinarily complex body of work.

The depth with which he characterises Roman left me floored and reading about his slow descent leading to the culmination of this book was gripping; I found the intricate plot points and the various "supernatural" elements of this book (in air quotes as the reader is never quite sure whether this is indeed the signs of true paranormal activity) to be engaging; this novel drove me to scramble for the answers as the reader was never spoon-fed any answers.

That is one of the crucial tenets of this story: everything is open to interpretation and the reader is never given any proper concrete answers for anything. One of the biggest questions this novel raises is the validity of Roman's experiences: were they a figment of his imagination or were they the work of supernatural forces? The reader has to work hard and think deeply to understand several plot points and this made for a far more immersive and fascinating read.

Although the pros greatly outweighed the cons, there were some minor flaws. Will was so adept at interweaving miniscule details into his writing that, at times, the writing could feel too detailed and chunky. However, this was earlier in his writing process (I read GS in its infancy on Wattpad and helped to edit it for a brief period) and these kinks were predominantly ironed out in the final completed version.

No work of literature is ever present in an entirely perfect manner due to its subjective nature and the fallibility of humans, so naturally I found aspects that I did not enjoy as much but unlike other novels, I did not feel this to be the case because of dreadful plot holes or shoddy writing.

Overall, despite some little quibbles, GS blew me away with its deeply disturbingly and intensely psychological delving into the brain of a character towards whom I felt greatly conflicted towards. The venture into Roman's dark and overwhelmingly confusing experience was thought-provoking to read about and seeing his life spiral out of control before the satisfying and illuminating climax was a pleasure to read.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grey Skies.

Finished Reading