Veronica Strachan's Reviews > The Pale

The Pale by Clare Rhoden

bookshelves: aus-women-writers, aussie-spec-fic

The Pale is the kind of intelligent speculative fiction read that I love. I highly recommend it.
On the surface it presents as a complete dystopian world, living factions well formed and interacting in the ebb and flow of a great story: humachines, canini, tribes, settlers and more. The world building is detailed and immersive, the language as alternately stark and poetic as the setting.
Then on a deeper level, individual characters emerge to challenge your moral compass, introducing you to a dystopian future that is all too possible. And while life in The Pale begins as structured, peaceful and uneventful, you just know it's not going to stay that way. I loved the slow decay wrought on the careful systems by beings failing to adhere to the group mores, and even the environment itself, bucking the trend.
Though it's not all conflict and power play. The future is not black and white, and the twists and turns held so many shades of grey in the values, choices and actions of the inhabitants.
The writing is subtle and powerful.
I'm glad Rhoden has already released Book 2. I need to read about what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pale.

April 21, 2019 – Shelved