Maura's Reviews > Diary of the War of the Pig

Diary of the War of the Pig by Adolfo Bioy Casares

Jul 22, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, human-rights, latin-american-or-latino
Read in August, 2008

This was excellent--started it on a Sunday morning and ended up canceling all my plans for the day because I just couldn't put it down.

It's a short, very dark story about genocide against the elderly--the young people of Buenos Aires have decided that seniors don't contribute to society and should be eliminated. The mere concept is terrifying, and Bioy Casares did a great job of showing the atrocities that normal people are capable of doing when they're consumed by hatred. He described the mob mentality of the young people, told of neighbors informing on neighbors, families turning on their loved ones, etc. It was so sinister it made my skin crawl throughout the entire book. It wasn't all gloom and doom though, as the author also described how the old folks stuck together, how some families hid their old people from the mob, etc. His characters were vivid, and his descriptions of being old were heartbreaking but sweet at the same time, if that makes any sense.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I found the ending to be very abrupt--I wanted more! I'd never read this author before but now I will certainly be looking for more of his work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of the War of the Pig.

Quotes Maura Liked

Adolfo Bioy Casares
“Under the bludgeonings of fate
My head is bloody, but unbowed.”
Adolfo Bioy Casares, Diario de la guerra del cerdo