Mindi's Reviews > Osgood As Gone

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett

This book is the perfect example of why I'm a reviewer. I get approached often by authors I've never heard of to read their books. Sometimes I take a chance because I get this feeling that a book could be one that I don't want to miss. Call it intuition, or more like an itch at the back of my brain. That's exactly what happened when Beckett sent me a DM and asked me to review his book. Something told me I should. And I'm so glad I did.

Prudence Osgood is a washed up paranormal investigator. She's also a pansexual, non-monogamous alcoholic who lives with chronic and debilitating pain. This is a character with layers. Someone who is way broken and just doing what she can to get through each day. She's so flawed, but she's such a real and genuine character that you immediately love her. Osgood doesn't sugar coat anything. She is who she is, and she does what she can to survive.

One night she gets a super cryptic email, and something tells her to dig into it. She enlists the help of Zack, a brilliant tech whiz who helps her with cases on occasion. Osgood doesn't really have friends, but Zack is the closest person to her, and knows all about her lifestyle and her addictions. When she sends him the email and he's unable to find a sender, the pair fall down a rabbit hole of a quest that leads them to some fascinating and totally unexpected places. Sincerely, this case had me turning pages as fast as I could. I was fully invested, and the more I read the more interesting it became. At the end of the book Beckett talks about his inspiration for the mystery, and it makes so much sense I felt a little giddy.

I seriously cannot recommend this one enough. Not only are the characters fantastic, but the mystery they become embroiled in is so entertaining that I wanted to actually be in that world, working the case with Osgood and her team. Pick this one up soon, because Beckett is currently working on book 2, and I'm already excited to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osgood As Gone.

April 21, 2019 – Started Reading