Shalini's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt

This book made me cry, my heart is all wrenched out, my emotions are so raw that even breathing feels like a friction burn. The story depicted a situation in life where everyone was right, and everything was so wrong too.

Milly couldn't have a child due to early menopause that devastated and nearly destroyed her and husband Matt. So her best friend Anna offered to donate her egg for IVF, and Matt's brother Jack decided to give his sperm. The embryo was implanted into Milly, and child Alice ensued. Post Caesarian section, Milly had post partum depression due to which Anna stepped up and looked after Alice, who was genetically her own child and love enveloped her, she wanted Alice for herself. Things happened and she was banned from Matt, Milly, and Alice's lives. Till a devastating truth caused Milly to call Anna after 5 years.

Kate Hewitt was brilliant in this book, her writing pure magic. Every word was so poignant and so seeped in emotion that I couldn't help following her down the roads of darkness and pain. Then like the rising sun bringing the hope of a brighter tomorrow, Kate brought me to the crossroads of life where there was not only pain but hope and joy at the little things that we should be thankful for. The characters were etched from the depths of the author's heart, they were real, they were true and oh so honest with their emotions. The feelings they evoked in me caused me to write this review with a film of tears.

The chapters were short absolute perfect while reading, each line left me with the anticipation to know more. The story kept me hooked to it from beginning to end, and I think Kate Hewitt is my most favorite author, even when she made me cry, especially since she made me cry.

The entire afternoon, I could not help but fall into the magical world of the author, the plot arc was a dark truth, but every letter inscribed on paper, was carved into my heart. It had the power to drag me from the reality of my life. One cannot help but long to hug and thank such an author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

April 21, 2019 – Started Reading