Robert Owens's Reviews > Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

Starter Vegetable Gardens by Barbara Pleasant

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, gardening, food, hoopla

One of my fellow Quest Scouters posted some photographs for her 50 Adventures a while back. She had several bags of topsoil in her backyard. She had cut the tops of the bags and directly sown seeds. I was intrigued and asked a few questions.

Backstory . . . I have longed been enamored with gardening. But I have no skills. I've tried a little of this, and a little of that, but no matter what I attempt, it all dies.

What I need is a gardening 101: do this! Then do that! I would settle for a friend who knew what was going on. Despite my research, I never found anything that quite met my needs.

Yet, I have all this space in the back. We cut down the "forest" a few years ago. Now we have a larg expanse of weeds . . . that is slightly uneven. Initially, I wanted to level it off, extend the sprinkler system, and lay sod. That was a bit pricier than I wanted, so it didn't happen.

Now that spring has sprung, I am outside and thinking through options again. I am getting ready to plant cucumber seeds for a Quest Scouts objective and a 50 Adventures (grow cucumbers, make pickles!). During the winter I did research on this, purchased some seeds, and bookmarked a page that explained everything.

So, the lady who had the pictures also posted the name of a book she was using. It was this book. Now that I am finally through all my Quest Scout reading, I thought I would change things up and read this before I move onto my next batch of books.

This is the book I needed a few years ago! This pretty much has plans for what I wanted to do then. I have moved on from those plans, however. I don't want a "complete" vegetable garden as we won't eat all that. I have become far more pragmatic about things. I want to plant cucumbers for pickles to accompany barbecue. It works for me.

I also want to plant rows of sunflowers.

And in the back of my mind, I've always wanted to grow watermelon and pumpkins. This hearkens back to my Tony Roma days when the new, young bartender came in. He had a plot of land somewhere and that's what he did: decided to give it a try. I thought that sounded kewl. It's been tucked away all these years. Since I am looking for a single-person activity that keeps me close to home that isn't going to break the bank, gardening seems like a good fit. This book has the kind of approach I need: split open some topsoil bags and sow.

Sure, there's a lot more here. But step-by-step planning, I can see this perhaps working out. I am at least willing to give it a shot.

So, while I was reading this, I decided to call up the web site I had bookmarked for the cucumbers. Don't you know, it was Barbara Pleasant's site. :) This was meant to be!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starter Vegetable Gardens.

April 20, 2019 – Started Reading