Lori D's Reviews > The Madness of Miss Grey

The Madness of Miss Grey by Julia Bennet

Yorkshire 1882 "If I go back, they'll never let me go again." That was the thought of Helen Grey as she met Dr William Carter as she tried to escape the asylum. This story pulled me in right from the first page and did not let go until the end. Helen had been in the asylum for ten years since she was almost sixteen . Put there by someone who did not want her known and with no way to escape. She wasn't crazy, although at times with the way she was treated, it was almost hard not to be.
Will was the son of a former housekeeper for the home before it turned into an asylum. He had been able to train as a doctor and he hoped to get recommended by a staff physician, Dr. Sterling.
Thus the journey to helping Helen get out of the place. They are really attracted to each other, but she has been so mistreated it is hard to trust.
An almost gothic story (which I am a fan of!) that takes us down the path of how horrible the conditons of asylums where back in this time and how women were mistreated. Could Will help her and get her away or would it jeopardize his position?
Julia Bennet is a new author to me and I look forward to reading more by her and would recommend this story!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Miss Grey.

Finished Reading