Jena Henry's Reviews > Becoming Us

Becoming Us by Robin Jones Gunn

The author, Robin Jones Gunn, has written several popular Christian fiction series and “Becoming Us” is the first book in her new Haven Makers series. Isn’t the cover inviting? And it illustrates a lovely part of the story, that we should “make room for everyone at the table.”

I read straight through this compelling and evocative story. I read most of it on a cozy Sunday afternoon. This is a character driven novel and each character is “a lovely creation, a locked treasure chest of undiscovered gems”. As readers, we get to watch each woman’s slow discovery as she “becomes.”

Emily and her husband and pre-teen daughter are new to California. They married young and depended on the shelter of the husband’s large and successful family back in North Carolina. Circumstances led them to ask God if they should make a change. But, their new life by a new ocean has been challenging. Will Emily learn to “plant the sweet things she loves”?

Thanks to the welcoming nature of Jennalyn, Emily is invited to get to know some other young women. As they share their stories, we see that they have some things in common, such as young children and the desire to create a good life for their families. They also have some differences. Emily and Christy are more introverted. As they begin to celebrate life together in creative ways, and share some of their painful stories, they are able to share the path of life together.

I especially liked the parts where they each came up with a word for the year. And Emily’s journey was poignant, heart-breaking and real. She learned to hope in God, rather than giving God a “to-do list” of desired outcomes, which is a big thing to grasp.

I highly recommend this book. This is the first book in the “Haven Makers series, which is a lovely name for a series. I am thankful I received a complimentary copy of this book from WaterBrook & Multnomah and this is my honest review.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Us.

April 20, 2019 – Shelved