Caidyn (he/him/his)'s Reviews > A Nearly Normal Family

A Nearly Normal Family by M.T. Edvardsson

did not like it
bookshelves: from-publisher-or-author, arc, mystery-horror-thriller

I received this ARC from BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at pg. 162

I wanted to like this book, but, really, it just didn't happen. For one, the father's perspective so annoyed me. I don't understand how you can be so ignorant about your child when there are multiple signs staring you in the face. It also was very religious. I know the father was a pastor, but I didn't expect to be beaten over the head about God and faith in God and God's powers every single chapter. That meant that by the time we got to the daughter's perspective, I couldn't care less.

Second, I wasn't into the translation. It's very choppy and awkward. There was basically no flow to it, which is a shame since if this book had been told in a less heavy-handed way, I might have loved it. The translation itself likely also played a hand in the father's part and how I handled it.

Really, one of those books that I have a feeling everyone will love and it'll turn into a very hyped thriller, but I just wasn't into it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Nearly Normal Family.

April 20, 2019 – Shelved
April 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 20, 2019 – Shelved as: from-publisher-or-author
April 20, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
April 20, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-horror-thriller
May 7, 2019 – Started Reading
May 8, 2019 –
page 109
27.25% "So far this is pretty meh."
May 8, 2019 –
page 162
40.5% "I'm just not getting into this. DNFing here. RTC!"
May 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Theis I agree with you... I can't even remember what page I'm on because I literally couldn't care less about anything that happens and I haven't picked it up in like a month. Then with the father being an atheist but because he had an adrenaline rush he's all of a sudden a man of God? Like.... an atheist is gonna realize it's an adrenaline rush not instantly think God's giving him power. I tried so hard. I just can't do it anymore with this book. It's gonna wind up at a little free library over the weekend.

Caidyn (he/him/his) Well, I'm sure that someone else can find and enjoy it at that free library! I'm glad it wasn't just me who was bored by it.