Melanie's Reviews > Waiting for Tom Hanks

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, romance, read-in-2019, adult, buddy-reads

ARC provided by Berkley in exchange for an honest review.

“My Tom Hanks is out there, and I’m not going to settle until I find him.”

I’m not going to lie to you all, I have been dreading writing this review. This is probably the book that has disappointed me the most in 2019, so far. I thought it was going to be a cute romcom about a girl, working on a movie set, falling in love. And I suppose it was, but it also has so much bad and infuriating things also in this story.

Waiting for Tom Hanks is about a girl named Annie who (you guessed it) is in search of her life’s romcom hero, who she thinks she deserves to be swept off her feet by. And what better way to look for prospects, than to work on a movie that your uncle pulls strings for you to be the director’s new assistant. And on her first day at set, she meets Drew, the star of this romcom that is being filmed.

“If there was ever a man who was the complete and polar opposite of Tom Hanks, it would be Drew Danforth.”

The best character was easily Annie’s uncle, Don, who was probably pansexual, but the author didn’t put it on page. But he also runs a weekly D&D group, and you all know that is very much something I am passionate about. Also, he was just kind hearted, and showed unconditional love, and I truly always wanted the best for him.

The second best character was Chloe, who is Annie’s best friend, and who is on page bisexual. I have no idea why she would be friends with Annie, but I am happy she was part of the story, and I’m happy the author is going to write about her in the next book.

Annie was just the worst, and being in her head was so unpleasant to read from. From fake *wokeness* to white feminism, to just being dramatic and jumping to so many ridiculous conclusions, from pity party to just doing so many hurtful and dumb things, she is easily the worst main character I’ve read about in 2019. Annie needs to learn boundaries, and respect, and *plot twist* at the end of this book was so horrible, that I can’t even believe that beta readers would not say how horrible it felt to read.

I suppose I should talk more about the white feminism in this book. The white director wanting to film a movie about an interracial relationship, because he is now in an interracial relationship felt really bad. You should want to promote diversity all the time, in all walks of life, not just went it mirrors your life and impacts you and your white-self. Every single time Drew talked about being a feminist because of his feminist mom and how he opened doors and walked girls home made me want to die. Even though I did feel bad for Drew through most of this, because Annie was so insufferable. Also, all the main characters in this book are white! To keep bringing up how *woke* you are, when your entire book is about two heterosexual people, who are white, with all white friends, it doesn’t feel good to read. Especially when the only person of color is a very minor side character (yet, the star of the very movie) who was only written to help the main character very awkwardly at the end of this book. Telling and showing are two very different things, and when you put such an emphasis on telling, while never showing, it makes for a really horrible reading experience. Bringing up how whitewashed media is constantly is just going to make your whitewashed book more obvious.

Overall, this just wasn’t for me. I should have known by the 100th Tom Hanks metaphor by page 50 to just DNF this, but I didn’t. There are so many other amazing romcoms out there, many of which are also being published through Berkley. I just really wouldn’t waste your time on this one, unless you like hurtful main characters, who think they deserve the world, and Tom Hanks movies getting brought up every page.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Content and Trigger Warnings for loss of a loved one and talk of cheating in the past (not MCs).

Buddy read with Alexa, Madalyn, & Amy! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Tom Hanks.

April 19, 2019 – Started Reading
April 19, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
April 19, 2019 – Shelved as: adult
April 19, 2019 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
April 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Izzy (new)

Izzy i am literally watching your red scrolls of magic vlog and YOURS is the first update that pops up when i open goodreads i feel blessed

message 2: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine oh my gosh, this sounds really good! I hope you love it Melanie

message 3: by Mia (new)

Mia it’s a shame you didn’t like it! this is, like, one of the only rom com books i’ve considered actually picking up :(

message 4: by Alannah (new)

Alannah *quietly removes this from tbr* okie doke, I guess I’m good. :)

Tucker Ooohhh nnoooooooooooo..... This does not bode well

message 6: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Currently reading this and I am more interested in a potential romance between Chloe and the coffee shop owner. Also, does Tom Hank's name really have to be mentioned 4.2 billion times (I'm only on page 50 something)? And the main character has a major chip on her shoulder about the main guy. Like when she gets all pissed because he takes her to McDonald's instead of a fancy restaurant. I'm not digging all her assumptions about who he is based on nothing when he seems to be perfectly nice to her and complimentary. Not sure why she sees everything he says as an insult. Can't wait to compare notes when you post your review and I've finished reading it.

mrsboomreads The repetition of either Tom Hanks or a rom-com title mentioned in every paragraph was just too much. To me, this read like a YA novel.

Chloe and Don were the characters that kept me reading to the end.

Melissa N It’s funny how every one on this thread is talking about Chloe because there is a follow up book focusing on her and Nick after Annie’s movie about them gets made

Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd) I love Chloe and Nick’s potential relationship. I also freaking love Gary. I’m nearly 60% through this book and the MC is mega annoying. I actually really love Drew. He’s a sweetie.

˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗ oh NO !! I was excited for this because I wanted more rom-com feels. sad to see it was so disappointing :(

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy I love that you mentioned page 50! That is where I am right now and I cannot stand Annie! She is the whiniest and most judgmental character I have ever read about. I need her to stop. This may be where I DNR. It came in the mail with 3 other books that are hopefully so much better!

message 12: by Sam! (new)

Sam! at the bookstore Thanks for this review, because you’ve definitely saved me the time of having to read this book. On to better rom coms!

Natalie I read it in one sitting. She was such an annoying heroine! I gave it 3 stars because of the other characters, not her. Chloe and Nick's story hopefully is better!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen I read 'til Chapter 9 and decided Annie is just too annoying. Off to better books!

message 15: by Diah R (new)

Diah R Aw too bad, I'm looking for a feel good romcom nowadays

Shawn I just finished this book, and I totally agree with your review.

Jessica Mogan This is a difficult one for me to get through too. Just the constant “rom com” clarification in some
Scenes where you can clearly tell that’s what’s already happening. But I am enjoying Drew.

message 18: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha This review has some major issues for me:
1. It’s not serious enough.
2. It’s definitely not wordy and boring.
3. I can’t get my 5 minutes back.

Lighten up.

message 19: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Kessell I struggled to finish this one. I was super excited for a fun little rom-com but I really disliked Annie from the start and being in her head was a total nightmare.

message 20: by Kit (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kit Spot on.

Jessica I agree with Samantha! This book was actually a really good read! And I'm going to end it there, this review was pretty ridiculous and petty. But to each their own.

message 22: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Your review is exactly what I needed to read after putting this book down. I feel better about absolutely despising Annie and not finishing the novel. Your review is well written and spot on. Thanks!

Sophie [at] Book Suburbia Im into two chapters and I am HATING this book 😫😫😫😫. Annie sounds so dumb. 😑 please somwbody tells me it gets better!