MJ's Reviews > Island Side

Island Side by Michelle Mankin

bookshelves: 2019-books, arc

Island Side is one heck of a heart-wrenching conclusion to the Rock Stars, Surf and Second Chances series (also the ending for the duet that includes High Tide). Michelle Mankin doesn't hold back as she gives us the other side of Hollie's story, the one that starts with heartbreak and ends with the happiness that has eluded her for most of her young life.

With Hawaii as our backdrop, we get to see Hollie grab that tiny bit of respite she has been craving from her life as a known actress, the debacle that involves Samuel and the disappointment and sorrow since Max has left her. Who would have thought that the bad boy rocker in Diesel Le could be just what the doctor ordered for this feisty young star? I can tell you right now that Hollie didn't. But yet she just couldn't deny the chemistry between her and the gorgeous surfer who promised her the world and surprised everyone by giving her just that!

There is a ton a sexy times between these two as they fall for the other, both fiercely guarding their hearts from more devastation that has consumed their pasts. The ocean is the perfect balm as Diesel patiently teaches Hollie how to surf and how to conquer the demons that continue to plague her especially in the waves that fears the most. Despite their big age gap, they just simply fit. I was always very curious about the wild member of the Dirt Dogs and I loved finding the other side of him, the one that is caring and thoughtful and truly loving. There is true pain that mars his soul but the feisty Hollie seems to know how to take it away and no one was more shocked than Diesel himself.

Their sparring made me smile because it just made them fall harder for the other. They could both give as good as they got and they never held back even when it might cause the other some anguish. These two simply fit in spite of their presumed differences. And it was pure joy watching as they maneuver through all the dark that threatens their light. Because when they are in sync, that little bit of magic could brighten up the entire sky.

With appearances by all of the Dirt Dogs and the almost constant support from Fanny, this is the perfect send off for this series and all that have passed through these pages. There has been much strife but there has also been a ton of elation and true satisfaction that each of these sexy rockers have found their someone, the person who just makes them better. I will miss this intense crew but am beyond thrilled that Mankin has given them the farewell they most definitely deserve.

Hollie's journey has many great bumps in her road but watching as she handles most of it with the knowledge and grace of someone older shows just how far she has come. And with her man by her side and all of the OB team behind her, I have no doubt her life will be better than ever.

Island Side is intense yet playful. It's passionate yet calming. It's the book that perfectly concludes this well-written and entertaining series and I happily give it 5 solid stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island Side.

April 19, 2019 – Shelved